Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It all begins

Jumping back into the blogging world after failing quite a few times, since I tend to get bored fairly quickly so we'll see how this goes.

In the last couple years I've gotten a big interest in roller derby. Unfortuantely while at home, I never took the
opportunity to go to a bout, we have some big derby teams back home, but I just never did it. I think I was just too scared to face the reality of it, it was better as a fantasy in my head. Well, after coming back to school, I found out there's a roller derby team forming right here in the middle of nowhere. I was excited, so once I found out, I sent them an e-mail and asked about how to join up! Well they told me to just come on saturday, and seeing as I don't have a car out here, I found one of the girls to give me a ride. I have huge feet (size 11 women's) so I wasn't sure about how available skates for me to borrow would be. Sure enough I went saturday and there wasn't anything I could borrow. I did attempt to squeeze my feet into some size 9's, but that failed pretty badly. So after some convincing, my parents decided to loan me the money to get my own gear. So now it's all ordered and I'm just waiting for it to come! Hopefully I will get it in time to skate saturday!
Now for the fat part. I'm a size 22. Most roller derby girls i've seen are very in shape, and are seen as quite the sex symbol. Watching practice I realized how ridiculously hard roller derby will be for me. But right now I'm keeping positive and really looking forward to giving it a try. Here I'll share my wonderful (and i'm guessing painful) adventures with the Rolling Hills Derby Dames!


*picture is from a 2008 roller derby calendar. Photographer Tony Pearce.

No comments:

Post a Comment